Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pearls...Bracelets, Necklaces, Earrings

I've been working with pearls, and loving it although I seem always to have to make myself get started with them. I'm especially fond of Biwa pearls, as you can see here, but I also love anything in the grey or silver family. With the first bracelet, I used these funky Biwa pearls that are rather large and have strange, but not unattractive, rings on them. I used some Swarovski crystals (small ones) and large Karen Hill Tribes chain. I wanted at least two strands of the Biwas to make an impact. Pearls are so beautiful when you're working with them in the studio, but if there aren't enough of them, they are diminished in a piece of jewelry. The pearl bracelet is listed under Freshwater Pearl Bracelets.The earrings are smooth flat Biwas that have the most beautiful nacre that I wanted a pair of earrings for myself out of them. Earrings are my least favorite jewelry type to make, but I decided to wrap some gold wire around these, and couldn't stop at making one pair. They're great, if I do say so myself.
The pearl necklace was inspired by the large blue pearl slab I had that I wasn't sure what to do with. I wrapped it, and wrapped a little shell bead on the front of it and decided to make a whole necklace instead of just a pendant. I had just gotten in new Karen Hill Tribes silver that day, so I had to experiment with some of the pieces I received. It's a very feminine necklace that also makes a statement. I already have it posted on the Pearl Necklaces page.Finally, I returned to those great Biwas pearls and wire wrapped a bracelet in goldfilled wire. I liked it so much that I'm going to keep it (I wore it today).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have added your blog to the blogroll on my site blog. If you would like it to stay there could you please link back to me and let me know.
Cheers.
p.s. Sorry, didn't know how to get hold of you, so I left a comment instead.