Monday, August 25, 2008

Copper and Sterling and Gold, Oh My!

As I look over some of the jewelry pieces I've made in the past few days, I'm surprised by how varied they are. Do you see a theme here? I don't! Or perhaps the theme could be called "what is on top of the pile"! Because I've been trying to get ready for a trip to Washington this week, I'm attempting to clear off the work bench a bit. Believe me, it's slow going! Why? Because not only is everything piled high, but as I look through the different layers of beads, gemstones, wire and lampwork beads, a particular bead (or group of them) will stand out and suddenly I get an idea for a bracelet or necklace or. . . well, you get the idea.
So, above is a bracelet resulting from a strand of lampwork beads I failed to put away sitting next to Swarovski crystals newly unwrapped. The lampwork beads are from James Derrick Reeves, and I hope he starts lampworking and selling again soon before I run out of the precious stash of his beads I've been hoarding.
Below, a jasper bracelet that got made because I just had to use those dear little donuts in something! They are so cute! Therefore, I built a bracelet around them - and some more of Derrick's incomparable lampwork beads.

Copper was on my mind after an e-mail from a customer; I had copper chain and wondered just how Swarovski's crystal copper crystals would look with the metal. The result: the charm bracelet below with Swarovski large crystals, flowers, and butterfly. I will pair these two up again most definitely!

I can be subtle; the jasper bracelet above is beautiful with swirls of greyish-purple, mauve, and colour mixtures that I can't think how to describe. Hmm, I sense a theme: more Swarovski crystals (tanzanite, this time) and a large lampwork bead by James Derrick Reeves. The addition of a small flat drusy only adds to the low-key beauty of the bracelet.
The huge lampwork beads below were meant to be put in a necklace. Their impressionistic quality reminds me of a Monet painting. Rose quartz and amethyst echo the colours in the lampwork; the only other addition is sterling silver - and that's the only other thing that this necklace needs.

The smoky quartz bracelet, above, is about subtle sparkle since every smoky quartz stone is beautifully faceted. Again, a bit of sterling silver is all that is necessary here.
Below is the opposite of the smoky quartz bracelet. Listen to the Warm (below) features vermeil, pink Peruvian opal, aquamarine, and yellow and orange carnelian. It's a crazy sort of bracelet, but then, it sums up my last week perfectly!
In keeping with the crazy week,if you go to the Cluny Grey Jewelry website, you will notice that while I have pictures posted of most of the pieces here, most do not have the prices or descriptions yet. Patience, they are coming!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a variation of this jewelry when I was about 14 yrs old. I got it as a gift and loved the design of it but I had no idea of its meaning until one of my teachers at school explained it to me. I thought wow that’s very nice and pretty deep. I think you have taken a classic piece and made it very modern chic and elegant yet, simple enough not to take away from its significance. http://www.sterlingtiffany.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow! Some nice bracelets there.

Good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Cluney,

Wonderful posting. Looking forward to see more like these. Of course, these jewelry pieces are something to cherish for along time.

http://exploringfashion.blogspot.com/

Jenie said...

OMG, I ***LOVE*** that copper!!! Freaking get DOWN with your bad, beautiful self!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy making the jewelries myself as well. I love gemstones like Turquoise, Agate, Coral…. Sometimes I add some gold colors and give it an Indian feel and sometimes I match with Pearl and have an elegant look. After work, I spread out all the gemstones on the desk and enjoy the moment mix and match beads of various kind. Sometimes it takes me days to finish one piece but nothing else would give the same satisfaction, making every pieces the way I like it.
www.gems99.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Cluny... you are so talented and your jewellery is simply fabulous! Great blog as well! All the very best!

Anonymous said...

i think i like the first piece of jewelry the best. the blue and silvers go quite well together :O
-Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi..
Really beauty jewelry. Please keep update your blog :)

Ciao.

Admin said...

One has to appreciate your skills to turn simple gemstones in to such a beautiful jewelry. Each jewelry which you have design is so different from each other. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

One must appreciate your skills of making simple looking gemstones so stunning. Keep up your good work.

Anonymous said...

I found your Smoky Quartz Bracelet very beautifuland pretty.
I saw some of pretty smoky pendants,necklace in myjewelrydeals.com
http://www.myjewelrydeals.com/control/product/~product_id=Smoky-Pendant-1
and I found it very beautiful

Anonymous said...

All the designs are too good and can make anyone to buy, especially the last one that is made with colored stones.