Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sunstone, Swarovski, Boro and Vermeil

I am a huge fan of gold, even though I know that sterling silver is the rage (but gold is coming back "in" as a fashion must). I had to post this bracelet because I was so happy with the way that it turned out. Wonderful borosilicate beads are alternated with the new copper coloured Swarovski rondelles; the gemstone beads are sunstone, a pale sunstone, but still with the telltale sparkle that makes sunstone such a beauty. The turquoise beads are lampwork and the gold is vermeil. Many people are unsure what vermeil is (pronounced vair - may). The base of vermeil is actually sterling silver; then the sterling is plated with 24 karat (usually, it can be a lower karat) gold. In the world of handcrafted jewelry, vermeil is often the alternative to using actual gold or base metal plated findings. First, the choice of findings in, say, 14 karat gold is extremely limited and prohibitively expensive. Even gold filled items, though a good choice, are hard to find. Vermeil, perhaps because its base is sterling presents a choice for quality, yet affordable, gold findings. With care (don't go swimming in it, take a shower in it, wear it non-stop for days) and proper storage (actually a baggy is great), it will look great for years and years.
This bracelet is up for auction on Ebay this week: check for Cluny Grey or user id: chloemarie99.


Cluny Grey Jewelry

1 comment:

Its Me! said...

I love gold too. Wish I had more of it...anyways, I had to come and visit because you left me a comment. I can't say I was really happy about it, but hey, you take what you can get.

So did you read ALL of my blog or just a bit? If you DID read all of it, and you still think I'm a whiner, then I have no further defense. If you DIDNT read it all, then you can't say I'm a whiner until you do. All the same, thanks for stopping by.