Friday, May 26, 2006

Nights in Babylon


I've been working with my favorite for jewelry this week: gold. Or in this case, vermeil (24 karat gold layered over sterling silver) or 14 karat goldfilled.
The bracelet that you see above is from my "Babylonian" collection. I call it that because of the bright gold, lapis, turquoise, and carnelian which all remind me of the Mesopotamian art from Biblical times. The gold used in those works of art, artifacts, and jewelry is as pure as it can be and still retain its shape so that it is a dark bright colour like vermeil. I also used a bit of wirework with 14 karat goldfilled wire for something just a bit different. I love the look of gold with gemstones although I know that sterling silver is what is currently in vogue. Of course, I've had to incorporate some of my favorite lampwork beads as well.

Another Babylon bracelet mixes just lapis and carnelian together. I love the colours in this carnelian, and the lapis I've gotten lately is of good quality with just the right sprinkling of pyrite (fool's gold) throughout so that it has the glittery look in the light that I admire.

I also love sunstone - what's not to love. It's a peachy to coral colour and it GLITTERS because of chatoyancy or Schiller effect. Very good sunstone is so expensive, but I got some okay sunstone (it has chatoyancy) and had to play with it a bit.

To see this jewelry and more, go to Cluny Grey Jewelry or check for some on auction on Ebay under user id: chloemarie99 or do a search for Cluny Grey.


Another jewelry blog: If you are interested in Jewelry (yes, with a capital "J") check out Zsolt Balla's blog Modern Jewelry from Budapest, Hungary. It has lots of information on jewelry and jewelry styles and fashions.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cluny, each new creation of yours is so artistic and beautiful!!! Even though I now possess quite a few pieces of your unique, lovely, colorful, dynamic, and well-priced artistic pieces, you continue to tempt me with new ones!! BRAVA!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Cluny,

Thank you for your link, and your post mentioning my blog, I truly appreciate it!

But I'm afraid, that the link in your blogroll is incorrect. It is
http://http://www.howto-center.com/jewelry

instead of

http://www.howto-center.com/jewerly

I also always make typos like that :-))

best wishes:
Zsolt

Anonymous said...

those are gorgeous!!!

Unknown said...

wow!!!
simply beautiful pieces of artistic excellence!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! Those are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Cluny, all your jewelry is so beautiful! I must admit I am jealous of your amazing talent. This piece is lovely, and the colors are dazzling.

-AJ
http://www.naturesbracelets.com

Anonymous said...

The gold and gemstones complement each other perfectly. I also like gold, and you do spectacular work with it.

Collectibles and Blogs about Collecting