Friday, February 23, 2007

Aquamarine: The Sea Stone

Aquamarine is the birthstone for March, so I've been working with it quite a bit lately, getting ready for next month. It is a gemstone that I love to work with though since turquoise and aqua shades are just about my favorite colours. I cannot help myself when it comes to naming jewelry pieces containing aquamarine: the only thing I can think about is water, namely the ocean, the sea, the beach, mainly the colour of the water in the Bahamas.
It is rather hard to find aquamarine at a reasonable price usually. Much of the aquamarine out there is so pale as to be almost colourless. But I have been lucky to find some aquamarine with good colour that is natural - and what a stroke of luck! Good aquamarine is truly beautiful; I don't have aquamarine with deep, deep colour except in some opaque nuggets, but what I do have is clear and true and lovely even when it has inclusions.
The first aquamarine bracelet is one of the few that does not have a "sea-name" since I called it "Silent Singing;" however, I'll let you in on a secret; I was thinking of the singing of the sea sirens who lured sailors to their deaths with their beautiful songs, so it is sea-related after all.
I am very fond of the set I made with aquamarine and coin pearls: earrings, necklace, and bracelet. (The bracelet isn't shown here, but you can find it on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website on our page of Aquamarine Bracelets.)Click Aquamarine Earrings for the earrings, and Aquamarine Necklaces for the necklace. They are all quite simple, but integrate the geometric look that is so in style this season.
I have made some aquamarine bracelets without any lampwork beads (for a change), but of course, I made some like the two above as well. Directly above, borosilicate lampwork beads add to the watery look and mysterious feel, and the bracelet above it has lampwork beads from Blue Seraphim lampwork that look great with goldfilled elements with aquamarines.
We've added quite a few new pages of jewelry to the Cluny Grey Jewelry website. One features Apatite Jewelry, and another features our new Prayer Box Necklaces which feature sterling silver prayer boxes as an element in our jewelry. The apatite bracelet above is a favorite of mine (the colour of course!). Until next time, keep beading and making the world beautiful!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cluny...I love your designs. So beautiful and inspiring. Sea stones is great with your designs. You are so talented.