Saturday, March 03, 2007

Fire and Ice, Sea and Sun

I like so many different gemstones and styles that if left to my own devices, in the course of a week I can come up with some very disparate looks. Fire agate is a current favorite of mine, and I like it so much that I've created a new page on the Cluny Grey website for Fire Agate Jewelry and I predict that it will be fairly full before long. I love large faceted nuggets, like those in this fire agate bracelet - and I love to mix a bit of sunstone with my fire agate creations, too. The other element (besides the lampwork beads I love) that I like to incorporate are Swarovski crystals. Talk about sparkle! The bracelet below has all three of my favorites.I am a bracelet person; I love bracelets, love to make them, love to wear them, oftentimes as many as I can get on at one time and still lift my arms (well, not quite). But I've been trying to make more necklaces since so many of my customers like matching sets - earrings, bracelets, necklaces, all that work together. I made the lariat necklace that you see below from grey Biwa pearls with an iridescent nacre and from faceted rock or quartz crystal that is huge and chunky. I really like lariat necklaces because they are very easy to wear and usually quite versatile.

The turquoise necklace that you see here is quite long and mixes lampwork beads by master lampworker James Derrick Reeves with turquoise and amethyst. I made matching earrings from the same turquoise and amethyst. I love those faceted amethyst nuggets. Below, I made a double strand necklace with some smooth amethyst nuggets, faceted peridot, garnet, and a lot of smokey quartz to show off a large drusy (druzy) pendant set in sterling silver with faceted gemstones in peridot, quartz, and garnet and an amethyst teardrop hanging from it. The clasp has a garnet cabochon set in it. When I make a necklace like this, I love to find gemstone clasps to use even though I know that it probably won't show most of the time. I still think it's a nice touch though. This necklace will be on the Drusy Jewelry page. This is also the first brown drusy that I've ever had.

Finally, another bracelet that I had to put on here today because I like it quite a bit. The huge faceted nugget is of amazonite and is slightly twisted. The lampwork beads are by James Derrick Reeves, and of course, the design is by me. I'm seriously thinking about keeping this one although I do have a couple of these huge nuggets still and I'm just wondering what I could do with them.



No comments: