Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Peridot: The August Birthstone



The August birthstone is peridot, a green gemstone used in jewelry from ancient times. It was often mistaken for the emerald, and has been referred to as the "evening emerald". Peridot has an interesting pedigree; many people believe that Aaron's breastplate (in the Bible) had peridot although it was referred to as "topaz". Some also believe that Cleopatra's emeralds were in reality peridots. The Egyptians referred to peridot as the "sun gem" because it was believed to be so bright that it was almost invisible in the desert sun; they also believed that peridot glowed in the dark which is probably why most peridot was mined at night (the better to see them!).
In ancient Egypt, the center of peridot mining was an island called Zebargad (Isle of St. John). Supposedly, the small island was infested with snakes until Pharoah had them driven into the sea (quite an accomplishment, don't you think?). This is probably where the idea that peridot could protect one against snakebite or cure a victim of it was born.

Many geologists report that the best peridots come from a mine in Pakistan; however, the San Carlos Reservation mine in Arizona has huge deposits and is the source of many peridots.
It isn't really that difficult to find good peridot beads that are clear and pretty; the problem is that most of them are all tiny! This is the only reason I dislike working with peridot. I would probably use it in jewelry much more if I could get bigger pieces of it regularly. Most of the peridot I buy, whether faceted or smooth, is either in rondelle form or very small ovals. That is why when I found these large peridot nuggets I couldn't wait to use them, even though they are opaque. They are still a very pretty green, have nice shapes, and most of all - big! (well, for peridot anyway - about 14mm).
As you can see above, I've used my nuggets of peridot with lampwork, with amazonite so that I could match these great lampwork beads, and one nugget as a single pendant. The third bracelet down is one made with those little 4mm faceted peridot rondelles. You can find these on the website at Peridot Bracelets page, and on the Peridot Jewelry page.
And the bracelet at the bottom? I love it , so I just had to put it here - it's rock crystal in these marvelous faceted nuggets that sparkle!!! alternated with little chunks of apatite. I love it!

1 comment:

WendyB said...

I love peridot. Too bad it's hard to find a large one that isn't visibly included.