Saturday, February 23, 2008

Amethysts!

It has been so long since I last posted that I've almost forgotten how. Valentine's Day and its aftermath have kept me busy, then the indescribable sickness that comes from having fibromyalgia stole most of this last week away from me, keeping me bedridden and much of the time in a deep sleep ( asleep I don't hurt though!). I haven't managed really to get anything new posted on the site, much less make new jewelry (still working on custom orders, too).
The two bracelets here are composed primarily of amethysts, the February birthstone, and I've done something I don't usually do: I've used the same lampwork beads for both bracelets. These lampwork beads are very different from most borosilicate beads; they have different colours and a strange opal-like quality as well without really being opalescent. The colours led to the mixture that you can see in the bracelet above. Large faceted rondelles of pretty blue aquamarine mix well with the amethysts with the addition of the lampwork. And I do love box clasps with stones set in them.
The next amethyst bracelet uses the lampwork beads and dark and light amethysts in faceted nuggets and rounds for a more homogeneous look. Bali and Karen Hill Tribes sterling silver accent the two. They will both be on the Amethyst Bracelets page of the Cluny Grey Jewelry website.
I'm still rushing to catch up, so if you want some information about the amethyst gemstone, where it gets its name, etc. see last year's February post.
Meanwhile, everyone pray for Spring!


No comments: