Sunday, March 02, 2008

Dreaming of Aquamarine

Aquamarine is one of my favorite gemstones, a member of the beryl family just like my own birthstone, the emerald. Aquamarine comes in a variety of colours, but my favorite is the pure "aquamarine" colour that is a light turquoise blue. Yes, I've been working this weekend, trying to get a bit ready for the March birthstone offerings on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website. Of course, bracelets are my favorite! Making aquamarine bracelets is a real joy whether I'm making them with gold or sterling or with or without lampwork beads. The top aquamarine bracelet is a sterling bangle bracelet handmade with Karen Hill Tribes tube beads and one of the huge special aquamarine specimens I ordered from my dealer in Hong Kong. The lampwork beads on either side were made by Lynn Nurge of laffinggull beads.
More special aquamarine beads are in the bracelet below; these came from Thailand and are quite large so that they match the size of the large borosilicate lampwork beads. It's a nice chunky aquamarine bracelet for the person who likes for bracelets to stand out.

The third bracelet illustrates the difference in aquamarines; these are beautiful and quite gemmy, almost crystal clear for the most part with more of a green tint than blue. The lampwork beads by Robin Weber are laced with silver for a really special look.
The earrings both have flower themes - yes, I'm dreaming of spring, the beach in May, long hot summer afternoons by the pool, the smell of fresh-cut grass baking in the summer sun! (Watch, tomorrow the temperature will probably be back below freezing!) By the way, the last piece is an ankle bracelet.



No comments: