Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yes, We've Had Some Snow!

Actually we've had rather a lot of snow here in the Washington, D.C., Arlington area! I am loving it! The federal government has been closed for the third day in a row, and will be closed tomorrow. For the first time today, I looked out and saw that the major streets I live on had not been cleared - still haven't. We're approaching the record of, I believe, 35 inches that was set in 1899 for D.C. The airports were completely closed today, and I'm wondering if my husband is going to be able to get in tomorrow on his afternoon flight.
Although I haven't been able to make jewelry as much as I'd like, I do have some new pieces that I haven't put on the blog before to show you. Because of the snow, I've been drawn to colour to counteract all the white and grey. The top bracelet is a medley of colours and gemstones: aqua, pink, and green chalcedony, peridot, amethyst, sterling silver, and a special sterling silver vintage clasp that has a pink tulip (probably glass) on it. The necklace features similar colours and gemstones to the bracelet although it wasn't meant to be an exact match. In keeping with the theme of bright colours, the necklace below has bright yellow citrines, carved and faceted, and bright blue chalcedony along with kyanite of a similar colour blue.
I love to work with aquamarines whether I am simply mixing them with a metal (as in the aquamarine bracelet above mixed with 14 karat goldfilled accents and bangles) or with golden freshwater Biwa pearls, below, or rose quartz. Aquamarines look good with almost everything!
I love the vermeil accents mixed with the golden Biwas, above. Below, a great butterfly bead adds interest as does the pretty rose quartz cabochon on the sterling box clasp.Also, I haven't forgotten that the birthstone for February is amethyst, so the two bracelets directly above, one, amethyst bracelet with borosilicate artist's lampwork, and a multi=strand rainbow moonstone bracelet that has a huge faceted amethyst nugget with white veins running through it.
Last is a necklace handmade, of course, with pink Botswana agates with the most interesting patterns on some of the nuggets, freshwater Biwa pearls, and freshwater "druzy" pearls.
Don't forget our free shipping or our special page of gemstone earrings all selling for only $20.10!

3 comments:

Marie Cramp said...

The first two pieces remind me of Easter candy! Perfectly spring appropriate! TFS

Marie

byZarah.com said...

That's cool you are having so much snow! Here in Oslo we have maybe 10 cm only :) Its slowly melting away. I like these designs too, your using so much tasty gemstones. And yes, it is pretty to be combined with the metal, love that!

Liquid Roof said...

Winter is now almost off here in my country, so no snow here. I would like to appreciate the jewelry you have shared with us. I would like to say that God has gifted the very much pretty hand to the designer.