Thursday, January 19, 2006

More Garnets for January!!!


The more I work with garnets, the more I want to work with them, especially when I get nice, evenly faceted like the ones in these . They are small teardrops with the hole running from top to bottom (which I often prefer when I am making earrings). They are beautifully faceted, so I simply took a bunch and hung them from a large jump ring first, then from these Bali sterling silver earwires with the large swirl on them. The garnets really catch the light.I love these large pearls in the deep burgundy garnet colour; yes, they are the same colour as the garnets, they simply have the pearl nacre! The faceted garnet nuggets here are from Spain and they are about 6-8mm wide and about 12-14mm long, so a very good and hard-to-find size for faceted nuggets in garnet. The name of this bracelet is "Wine Dark Sea" from Homer's Odyssey - I think the name is really more appropriate for this bracelet than for the Mediterranean. The lampwork beads are made by an artist here in the United States. The Bali sterling silver adds a nice counterpoint to this assymetrical bracelet.
"Red Sunset", the in the very first photo is named partially because of the wonderful from Beingbeads Studio. Turkish filigree shows them off, and I've loaded the rest of the bracelet with from Bali and from the Karen Hill Tribe. On the left side of the picture, you can see a very large smooth garnet nugget -it's almost 18mm-that you don't see very often. More of the garnet coloured freshwater mix with the stones. The second slender strand has only 2 elements: Karen Hill Tribe sterling silver bamboo beads and smooth garnet rondelles. This is one of my favourites, and it too uses those high-quality garnet faceted nuggets from Spain.
Garnets are such a classic that I don't think that they will ever really go out of style. And, they are one stone that because they are such a very dark red in most cases work as a neutral. I have a large oval garnet set in a simple setting of yellow gold and I can wear with everything in my wardrobe. Garnet, unlike a lot of other gemstones, translates well in to many different styles. It looks great in contemporary jewelry, Grecian, traditional, Victorian, Edwardian, Medieval - try to think of a period of western European history where someone didn't use garnets in jewelry! (I should have added here that these pieces are currently up for auction on Ebay! Search for Cluny Grey or for user id: chloemarie99)

2 comments:

Lana said...

your work is beautiful.

clunygrey said...

Thank you!