Friday, May 04, 2007

Emeralds: The May Birthstone




Emeralds are the May birthstone - which means that the emerald is my birthstone. I really love emeralds, and I would create with them all the time if they weren't so expensive. Emeralds are quite difficult to get in bead form (ones that are affordable and still look good that is), but sometimes I get lucky. My dream is to have huge emeralds to create with, but I don't know that it will come true anytime soon.Emerald is considered to be one of the "Big Four" gemstones (the others are diamond, sapphire, and ruby). It has a hardness of 7.5 to 8 on the Moh's scale. Today the best emeralds come from Columbia although emeralds are found in Australia, the United States, and Africa (Zimbabwe, most are small emeralds but of high quality). At one time, emeralds were mined in Austria and also Russia. There are emeralds in India that have been found recently (Rajasthan) but most are lower quality and made in to beads. However, the emerald has been popular in India since ancient times although no one is really sure where they came from.

The emerald is a beryl, that is, it belongs to a group of gemstones, including aquamarine, that are known as beryls.
All the bracelets shown here can be found on our Emerald Bracelets page on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website.

The earrings above can be found at Cluny Grey's Emerald Earrings page.

6 comments:

Maya Marie said...

Hi I'm a young jewelry artist, and I happened to stop by your blog. The pieces you make are very interesting and elegant, and I just just fell in love with the coral earrings :).
Awesome jewelry
K.D.

Anonymous said...

This blog is cool. There is a lot of good jewelry blogs but this is professionaly written. Great work!
Regards

Unknown said...

Your Jewelry is very beautiful - and I was happy to read about my birthstone (well done).

Chris
Co-editor/Co-founder
http://www.PrimeViste.com

Unknown said...

Your jewelry is really beautiful and I was happy to read about my birthstone (well done).

Chris
Co-editor/Co-founder
PrimeViste.com

Unknown said...

Hi Cluny, You do a pretty good job on your blogs and you have some nice jewelry on your site. I sell emeralds, so if you're ever looking for another source, you might check out www.embassyemeralds.com . I also plan to work with designers such as yourself in creating jewelry for sale on the site and perhaps another jewelry only site. At the very least drop me a line through the website and we might perhaps be of use to each other sometime in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Nice blog.Your Jewelry is very beautiful.There is a lot of good jewelry blogs but this is professionally written. Great work!
Pawnshop Gold