Monday, July 27, 2009

Peridot: The August Birthstone


Peridot is a gemstone that I feel is often under-rated. It is beautiful in its purest form: a clear almost spring grass green, but equally appealing when included and opaque in colours from a milky green to an olivine colour. The only problem I have with peridot is that I like to work with larger gemstones much of the time, and it is quite difficult to get large nuggets - or any other cut for that matter - of peridot.

I do love the folklore surrounding peridot. Early on, from before the time of Cleopatra, peridot was mined on the Egyptian island known today as St. John's Island (called Topazios previously). Mining peridot was difficult because the island was infested with snakes - probably the reason that peridot came to be associated with protection from snakes and snakebite. The miners also worked at night since they believed that the peridot was invisible during the day. To this day peridots are sometimes confused with emeralds; supposedly many of the "emeralds" that Cleopatra wore were, in fact, peridots.

Peridot was said to have many powers including the power to heal asthma, promote good luck and good fortune (it is known as a "money" stone), to guarantee a happy marriage and a good night's sleep. It releases negativity, draws love to you, and soothes the nerves. It is also thought to help one with spiritual enlightenment. No wonder those miners braved serpents to procure this gemstone!


I cannot guarantee that the peridots in our bracelets will perform all the feats listed above, but these bracelets will certainly look good on your wrist. We have them for every taste (and will have peridot bracelets with gold soon). So if you wear peridot, you will be wearing it in good health!
Find all these peridot bracelets soon on Peridot Bracelets page on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website.


6 comments:

jewellery designer Halifax said...

Hi - I like your jewellery ideas and the look of your blog. My youngest daughter's birthday is in August so it is nice to see jewellery with that connection. Thanks for posting!

EmandaJ said...

Hello Cluny,

My Mom's birthday is in August and she used to hate peridot -- who knows why. I gave her a beautiful piece last year, and what do you know, now she loves peridot! Your pieces are fabulous!

Emanda
Check out my blog for a GIVEAWAY!
http://ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com/

Jewelry Fan said...

My B-day is august and I love peridot very nice piece. WoW!!

Rochelle Gray said...

Hi Cluny,

Your pieces are really good.I never knew i could incorporate peridot and make pretty bracelets out of them. Moreover, i was never a big fan of the green stone.But now i have second thoughts..nice work!

always B designs said...

Beautiful! My birthday is in August and I used to hate having Peridot as my birthstone. As I got older, I realized its charm and now love it! Great blog...
Angela
www.alwaysBdesigns.com
www.alwaysBdesigns.blogspot.com

cufflinks said...

I have never been a fan of Peridot!

However i must say my taste has changed dramatically since seeing your beautiful bracelets.