Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Stones of Summer

I wrote a blog entry once about how some gemstones are seasonal; that is, they seem to belong to a certain season or seasons (the main division being, however, winter and summer). This really doesn't have anything to do with the Color Me Beautiful idea that women should wear certain colours based on their "season" (meaning the season they fall into determined by their complexions, eye colour and hair colour). This is simply a subjective feeling I have for probably very silly reasons. For instance, I think of rubies as summer gemstones because they are the July birthstone (although rubies do work well in the winter - probably because of the red we habitually see at Christmas?), sunstones are summery because they are reminiscent of the summer sun, bright, orange, glinting, aquamarines because they echo the colours of the ocean, and of course, corals because of the colours and the relationship to the sea (meaning the beach, of course). So some of the most recent bracelets here are summer bracelets from the ruby bracelet at the very top of the page to the last coral bracelet below.
But despite my designating these as "summer stones", they do work well at other times of the year, especially with the addition of a "wintry" stone such as the pietersite in the aquamarine bracelet above.
However, the ankle bracelets that you see below, one ankle bracelet of gold and sunstone and one with aquamarine and sterling silver both sing out summer loud and clear!



Above, coral bracelets page, and   the turquoise and coral bracelets page on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website.

12 comments:

Anabela Miranda said...

You have a fantastic blog. Congratulations.
Hugs

Marie Cramp said...

Your bracelets ar fantastic as always. I am wondering, since I just had my first request for an anklet, any recomendations for sizing?

Marie
http://skyejewels.com
http://skyejewels.blogspot.com

clunygrey said...

THanks, Marie! I hope your business is going well!
Almost all the ankle bracelets I've ever made have been between 9 and 10 inches. If someone is buying for a gift and doesn't know the size, ask if he would describe the person as to size or go for about 9 1/2". The other option is to end with a chain and use a lobster clasp. Most of the time, extra chain can be cut off with household scissors.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Bracelets!!! congrats
How about hand made bracelets?? Ive been triyng to find and cant!

clunygrey said...

These are all handmade bracelets that I make myself - all by myself. The picture of Brazil on your blog makes me wish I were there, but my Brazilian "daughter" will be here from Rio tomorrow night! By the way, you are very lucky: Spain and Brazil! (I especially love Andalucia).

A Mano Designs said...

Wonderful use of aquamarine. Great work!

Billy James said...

Dude, GREAT blog. This whole site that you have set up is top-notch.

Well done. I stumbled across it as I was looking for an blog like this.
I’m really looking forward to reading all of your archives. Terrific

job, keep it up!

Billy James said...

Great work..Cluney.
These are really nice Bracelets.
All are really cool and cute but I especially like the "Coral Bracelete"
Thanks...

MillieMegan said...

Your bracelets are beautiful and Nice
Fantastic blog.How you got this idea of preparing handmade bracelets

Mia said...

In love the turquoise and coral combination. I don't I have ever seen (or noticed) them together.

Designer Saree said...

wow!!!!
Such a beautiful design of braclet's and i love color you used.Keep posting such beautiful design

marry said...

They are so beautiful.Great work!