Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Mixtures: The Spice of Life

I've grown to love mixtures of gemstones and lampwork in a way that I never thought that I would. I mean, I'm a person who likes to wear one colour at a time where clothes are concerned: all black, all blue, all turquoise: I like the head-to-toe look of one colour. I vary that with my and with an scarf now and then, sometimes a pashmina (and yes, I still wear them; I probably always will now; they are one of the most versatile articles of clothing: they can be mufflers, shawls, a hood to keep my hair dry, and they help preserve a sense of modesty in Muslim countries). Anyway, even if my clothes are monotone, my jewelry isn't. The first example is the bracelet I call Indian Summer; it features , , artist's by Alyson Straley, and . The textures are interesting also, from the filigreed and beaded sterling silver to the "bumpy" lampwork beads to the floral lampwork beads, faceted stones, and carved agate. The next bracelet has a mixture of gemstones and silver, made at a time when I thought that I would never, ever, mix with lampwork or crystal or any non-natural material. I still love this.

It features tourmalinated quartz, (a mottled peach and green stone that takes some getting used to), and , a stone with wonderful Schiller effect (flash).Since the stones are all smooth with the exception of a small carved labradorite flower bead, the texture comes from the wonderful , the accents, beads, and the clasp, which is really beautiful.
Lately, it's hard to think of doing one colour, one stone!
The first bracelet is on auction at Ebay, ending tomorrow night; search for Cluny Grey or user id: chloemarie99. The second bracelet can be found on the Cluny Grey Jewelry website or in our Ebay store. Free shipping in the USA on our website! Also check out the Studio G Jewelry website with designs by as well as by

No comments: